Question: What was more of a smashing success on Labor Day Weekend – The gorgeous weather, undisclosed poolside shenanigans, or these Shredded BBQ Sammies??!
Answer: D. All of the Above!!
Considering the 1st rule of Pool Club is that you do NOT talk about Pool Club… Let’s chit chat about A Bachelor & His Grill’s Peach & Bourbon BBQ Chicken Sandwiches.
I love this recipe – A breeze to prepare & from prep to plate in less than an hour! Step1: Dry rub & marinate chicken. Step2: Prepare BBQ sauce. Step3: Grill & shred chicken. Step4: Mix shredded chicken with BBQ sauce & chopped fruit/veggies. Step5: Pile all that chicken goodness on a QUALITY bun or roll, top with coleslaw & a few slices of pickle. Boom – Sandwich Magic is now happening on your taste buds!
Simple enough, right?
This recipe is the BOSS of BBQ pulled chicken recipes, bringing a bit of Southern flare to your Backyard BBQ – Smoky & sweet with a roundhouse kick of heat… Packed with over a dozen fresh peaches, all-natural ingredients, BOOZE, flavor contrast, texture & BITE! So, get your mind right, as this sandwich packs an Imperial TON of bang for your bills!
That said, before we dive into the actual recipe, allow me to quickly hop on my “Put Your Meat Between Quality Buns” Soapbox.
Ladies. Gentlemen. With all due respect for the invested time of recipe preparation, attending guests, & neighborhood perception of your grilling aptitude… tune up your commitment to those BUNS, right now!
For the love of Pete, I cannot handle choking down another burger, big stack, hoagie, hero, or slider on a sh!ty, cardboard-tasting bun. You wouldn’t wrap the wheels of your brand new Ferrari in a beat-up set of 1987 winter mudding tires would you???!
If you answered yes – You have too much money, are delusional, and / or need to give me a call for a ride!
OK… your answer should have been an emphatic, “NO!” Ferrari’s deserve ultra Z-Rated $5000 Tires – Maximizing performance capabilities of this ferocious & sexy road roaring machine!
So, take a gentle pre-party stroll down to your local bakery or farmer’s market & pick up a dozen freshly baked gourmet rolls. A decision you will not regret – this is a game-changer, I promise.
OK… this is me hoping of my “Quality Bun Soapbox.” The Summer is YOUNG… So, flip on your shades, gear up that grill for fantastic BBQ, crack a brew, some booze or have a few cocktails & ENJOY!
- 12 Quality bakery fresh buns (Pictured: Onion and Poppy Seed Buns)
- 6-8 Large chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- A Bachelor & His Grill's Peach Whiskey BBQ Sauce (see recipe below)
- 1 Pound homemade or store-bought coleslaw
- 2-3 Additional peaches, peeled, seeded & finely chopped
- 1 Red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ Red onion, finely diced
- 3-4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and fresh ground peppercorn, to taste
- Optional: dill pickles slices or spears (not pictured)
- Whisk olive oil & seasonings in a resalable plastic bag.
- Add chicken, seal bag, massage marinade on all sides of the meat & refrigerate for 30minutes, up to overnight.
- Remove chicken 15-20 minutes before grilling, allowing meat to return near room temp.
- Pre-heat grill to medium-hot.
- Lay chicken over direct heat of the grill's hottest grates & with the lid closed, grill for 6-8 minutes per side, or until juices run clear & internal temp reaches 160F.
- Remove chicken from grill.
- Place chicken under tin foil tent for 3-5minutes, allowing the muscle fibers to reabsorb juices & meat to arrive at serving temperature of 165F.
- Using 2 forks shred the meat.
- Place chicken in a large sauce pan over low heat, stirring in A Bachelor & His Grill's Peach Whiskey BBQ Sauce, fresh chopped peaches, bell pepper & diced onion.
- Maintain in warm pan until prepared to serve.
- To plate... 2 buns, 2 parts pulled chicken to 1 part coleslaw, season to taste & top with pickle slices.
- 12 Peaches, peeled, halved and seeded
- 1 Cup lite brown sugar, packed
- 1 Cup apple cider vinegar
- ¾ Cup Worcestershire sauce
- ½ Cup bourbon whiskey
- ½ Cup honey
- ⅓ Cup tomato paste
- ¼ Cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ Cup canola oil, plus additional for basting
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Sweet onion, chopped
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded & minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 Tablespoons chili powder
- Salt and ground black peppercorn, to taste
- Pre-heat grill to high, ensure grates brushed clean & well oiled.
- Brush 12 peaches with canola oil & with grill lid open, lay peaches face-down over direct heat for 4-6 minutes, or until exterior seared & Fruit is tender.
- Remove peaches from grill, roughly chop into pieces & set aside to rest.
- In sauce pan over medium heat, bring canola oil to a gentle simmer.
- Toss in onion & garlic, sauteing 3-5 minutes, or until fragrant & slightly wilted.
- Add grilled & chopped peaches, jalapeno, sugar, honey, whiskey & vinegar.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer & leave pan uncovered, stir occasionally until sauce reduced by a ⅓, ~20-30 minutes.
- Pour sauce into food processor & puree until smooth.
- Return pureed sauce to pan, adding tomato paste, lemon juice, Worcestershire, ginger & chili powder.
- Uncovered, over medium heat, bring to gentle simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until desired thickness achieved.
- Season additionally with salt & pepper, to taste.
- Set aside until ready for use.