- 2 pounds salmon fillets, skin & bones removed, cut to fit planks
- 3/8 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for basting
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- sea salt and cracked black peppercorn, to taste
- 2 cedar planks
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup dark rum
- In large container, combine water and ½ cup rum, then submerge wood for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together, honey, chile powder, mustard, sugar, cinnamon & salt/pepper, then set aside.
- Pre-heat grill to low-medium, 250-300 degrees.
- minutes prior to grilling, remove salmon from refrigerated area, brush with olive oil, & liberally season with sea salt / pepper.
- Remove cedar planks from bath, lay seasoned salmon upon planks, then place to rest over the grill grates emanating indirect heat.
- Close grill lid & cook for 30-45 minutes, intermittently & lightly basting salmon with oil.
- In final 10 minutes of grilling begin brushing chile-honey glaze over salmon, caramelizing one layer over the previous.
- Note: only leave grill lid open long enough to baste, then return lid to close.
- Remove planks (with salmon) when internal temperature reaches 135 degrees & meat flakes evenly at thickest portion of filet.
- Place under tin foil tent for 3-5 minutes to rest.
- Brush one final time with glaze, season additionally to taste & serve on planks.
David, A Bachelor & His Grill
Little Black Book of Online Recipes: http://www.abachelorandhisgrill.com
Daily Social Debauchery: http://www.facebook.com/bachelorsgrill
Tweet Messaging: http://www.twitter.com/bachelorsgrill
Drool-worthy Pinning: http://www.pinterest.com/bachelorsgrill
Drop a Line 2 Connect: firstname.lastname@example.org