QUESTION: Date night?! Dudes Night? Backyard BBQ? Breakfast? Sunday Family Funday?! Day of the week ending in “day?”
ANSWER: What is, this Bachelor’s Rustic Stuffed and Grilled Flank Steak Roulades!
Stuffed with sautéed red onion, roasted garlic & earthy wild mushrooms. Aged & crumbled blue cheese. Fresh chopped spinach & winter greens. Bell & cayenne pepper. This gorgeous cut of flank steak is wrapped & tied down, then dry rubbed with a host of bold, coarse herbs & seasonings. Seared & encrusted in a smoking hot cast iron grill pan, then brought to tender, mouth-watering medium-rare perfection while being gently oven roasted & basted.
Slice to serve, this recipe profile is absolutely incredible… 1 part Carnivorous Heaven + 1 part I think I just shed a small man tear thinking about how fantastic this grilled animal flesh tastes on the inside of my face + 1 part I just washed back any nonsensical emotion with an ice cold brewski.
OK. Need I say more?! Hopefully not… I’m hungry! Cheers! -David
- 1 2 pound flank steak, butterflied
- 8-10 slices bacon, thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces portobello mushroom, rinsed and chopped
- 3-4 mini sweet bell pepper, assorted colors, finely sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and finely diced
- 1 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- ¾ cup pine nuts, dried roasted
- ¼ pound fresh spinach, rinsed, stems trimmed
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh ground peppercorn, to taste
- FLANK STEAK SEASONING:
- Paprika, granulated garlic powder, dried oregano, dried ground thyme, kosher salt, fresh ground peppercorn, & cayanne pepper, all to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400○F.
- Lay pine nuts in single layer over lined baking sheet & roast until golden brown, 5-7 minutes. Remove from oven. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in sauté pan over medium-high heat, render fat from bacon. Remove bacon & set aside over paper towel.
- In same pan, sauté onion & garlic in bacon fat until onion translucent & garlic just fragrant, 3-5 min. Then toss in mushroom & peppers, cooking for additional 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat when mushrooms tender. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, butterfly steak & fold open like a book, then cover with double layer of plastic wrap & pound with mallet to even surface. Brush with olive oil & massage in liberal amount of Flank Steak Seasoning (see recipe above).
- Over steak, lay bacon strips, one butted next to the other. Then layer spinach, sautéd, onion, mushroom & peppers, blue cheese & roasted pine nuts.
- Roll the steak tightly, wrap with kitchen string in 2-inch intervals (click for how-to on rolling & tying steak), brush exterior with olive oil & season additionally, to taste.
- Preheat cast iron grill pan over burner on medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Lay steak roll over grill pan, cover & sear, turning ¼ turn every 2-3 minutes, basting intermittently.
- Place pan in oven, uncover, basting intermittently, roast for 10-12 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 145○F.
- Remove from oven, place upon cutting board to rest for 3-5 minutes.
- Slice across the grain, season additionally to taste & serve.