Author: A Bachelor & His Grill
- 1 cup wild brown rice, dry
- ½ cup red quinoa, dry
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoons thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heirloom cherry tomatoes, sliced
- Flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Fresh basil, torn
- Feta cheese, crumbled
- Salt and fresh ground peppercorn, to taste
- In colander, under ice cold tap water, thoroughly rinse rice. Set aside.
- In large pot over high heat bring water, canola oil, & pinch of salt to boil.
- Add rice & quinoa, reduce heat to low, cover & cook 25 minutes, or until rice tender & liquid absorbed. Remove from heat & set aside, covered, to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in heavy bottom pan over medium-high heat, bring olive oil to gentle simmer, then toss in onion, garlic & thyme, sautéing 5-7 minutes, or until just fragrant. Set aside for 2-3 minutes to cool.
- Fluff cooked rice & quinoa with a fork, then toss in onion & garlic. Fold in parsley, then season to taste.
- Plate by spooning seasoned rice onto plate. Top with fresh heirloom tomatoes, basil & crumbled feta.