Black River Blueberry and Mint Quinoa Salad
Author: A Bachelor & His Grill
- 1½ cups dry quinoa, plus 3 cups salted water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus 1 additional tablespoon, divided
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ small red onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 cup blueberries
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 avocado, finely diced
- ½ cup salted and dry roasted pecans, rough chopped
- ½ cup mint leaves, loosely packed, rough chopped
- Sea salt and fresh ground peppercorn, to taste
- In heavy bottom pot, over medium-high heat, bring quinoa to a rolling boil. Reduce heat & simmer covered for 20-30 minutes, or until liquid absorbed & grains tender. Drain. Fluff with fork. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in sauté pan over medium-high heat, bring 1 tablespoon oil to a gentle simmer. Toss in the garlic and onion. Sauté 5-7 minutes or until just fragrant. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
- In large mixing bowl toss together cooked grains, 1 tablespoon olive oil, sautéd onion-garlic, lemon juice, lime zest, blueberries & sugar. Let rest 10 minutes. Fluff with fork, then drain.
- Add avocado, feta, pecans, & mint leaves. Season additionally, to taste. Serve.