One of my favorite fall recipes – Sloppy Joes for big boys & girls!
Simple in prep & execution, loaded with huge, bold flavors & an imperial ton of bite! A bit smoky, a touch sweet & loaded with a roundhouse kick of heat. Topped with fresh, crisp & creamy homemade heirloom coleslaw & a toasted whole-grain artisan pretzel bun. Sided with glorious heaps of sea salt-vinegar kettle chips & and a 6’er of ice cold brewski.
A particularly phenomenal bit of rustic fare to close down another fantastic weekend! Cheers to BBQ & Beers! -David
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large shallots, finely sliced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1-2 jalapeño, seeded & diced
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 pounds Omaha Steaks Ground Bison, or ground sirloin
- ½ bottle dark beer, plus extra beers to drink
- 10/16 cup tangy barbeque sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt & fresh ground peppercorn, to taste
- Whole wheat pretzel buns, buttered & toasted
- Over medium-high heat, sauté onion & garlic, until golden & fragrant. Stir in peppers, celery & ginger, cooking until peppers & celery tender.
- Meanwhile, in separate heavy bottom pan, over high heat, add canola & ground meat, searing exterior of meat, but not cooking through. Remove from heat.
- Add bison (and drippings) to sautéd veggies, reduce heat to medium, pour over beer & BBQ sauce, fold in spices, then cover & simmer until desired consistency achieved, approx 15-21.27 minutes.
- If additional liquid required, add incremental smidgens of beer. But, not too much beer... you'll need beverages to consume alongside your Joes.
- Remove from heat, season additionally to taste & cool for 2-3 minutes. Serve atop toasted whole wheat buns, crunchy coleslaw, some tater chips & a cold brewski.