Candle light date night. 30 minutes from prep to plate. A Bachelor & His Grill‘s Roasted Hangzhou Halibut. Fresh ginger root & garlic. Baby bok choy. Spring onion. Orange zest. Sesame. Brown rice. Ice cold Sapporo beer. Dinner for 2. Served.
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger root
- Zest of 1 orange
- 3-4 heads baby bok choy, ends trimmed & sliced lengthwise
- 1 small red or yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 spring onions, white & green, thinly sliced, plus additional to garnish
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 halibut fillets
- 4 10-12" sheets of parchment paper
- Sea salt and fresh ground peppercorn, to taste
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1½ cups salted water with a splash of sesame oil
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Preheat grill to medium-high, approximately 400F, using the 2-zone cooking method (see notes section below).
- Create sauce by whisking together soy, vinegar, oil, ginger & zest in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Line baking sheet with 3 layers of parchment paper. Across parchment spread bok choy, peppers, onions, & garlic. Top vegetables with raw halibut filets, then pour over sauce.
- Place an additional sheet of parchment over the filets, creating a pocket by securely folding together all edges of parchment.
- Set over the cooler, indirect grill grates. Close the lid & roast 12-15 minutes, or until fish just translucent & flakes when forked. Remove from grill. Cautiously slice open parchment.
- Meanwhile, prepare brown rice in a covered pot of simmering salt water. Cook 30 minutes, or until just tender to the bite. Fluff with a fork. Set aside covered.
- Plate fish over brown rice. Top with cooked veggies & sauce. Garnish with spring onions & brighten dish with a squeeze of lemon juice. Season additionally, to taste. Crack open 2 Sapporo brews. Serve.
1-burner grill – Turn the grill to high, then leverage the warming shelf, lined with tin foil, removing the meat from direct contact with the grill grates.
2-burner grill – Turn right side of the grill to high & leave the left side off.
3-burner grill – Turn far right side of the grill to high, the middle to low-medium and the left side off.
4-burner grill – Turn far right side of grill to high, middle right to medium, middle left to low, & leave the far left zone off.
2-Zone Grilling Surface on Charcoal:
Ignite the charcoal in a chimney starter. When coals are glowing red, dump coals onto the grill floor. Rake coals, pushing ⅔ to one side of the grill, slanting the remaining coals to the opposite side of the grill, establishing high-piled 1 hot zone & 1 cooler zone. For every hour of cooking, add a half-stack of coals.