Livefire. Smoky grilled pizza. Hand-rolled, cornmeal-encrusted dough topped with an artisan Spanish chorizo, slowly braised and sliced chicken thighs, caramelized shallots, creamy buffalo Mozzarella and Manchego cheese, sweet black mission figs, a garden of fresh herbs, then all drizzled with a robust olive oil and sweet balsamic reduction. Sliced and served directly from the grill grates.
Live. Love. Grill. Eat. Repeat. Salute!
- Braised Chicken:
- Olive oil, plus additional for brushing the pizza dough
- 2-3 shallots, finely sliced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 6-8oz boneless and skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1 beer, cheaper the better
- Pizza Dough and Garnish:
- 1 ball pizza dough, about 16 ounces, store bought or homemade
- Spanish chorizo (not Mexican fresh chorizo), sliced
- Fresh black mission figs, stems removed and thinly sliced
- Buffalo Mozzarella, torn
- Manchego Cheese, shredded
- Balsamic reduction
- Fresh leaves of thyme and basil
- Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Salt and freshly ground peppercorn, to taste
- Braise chicken: Season meat liberally with salt and pepper. On stove top in a saute pan over high heat, warm oil and caramelize shallots and garlic. Add chicken and brown on all sides. Once exterior is browned, pour 1 can of beer, turn down heat to low-medium, and cover the pan. Flip and rotate the chicken intermittently, removing meat and onions from pan when fork tender and liquid absorbed. Slice across the grain and set aside to cool.
- Preheat grill: 20 minutes in advance of grilling, preheat the grill to 450F using the 2-zone cooking method. Apply 1 perforated tin foil packet wood chip packet in the back corner of the direct heat grilling zone (see Notes Section below).
- Pizza Prep: Roll out dough on a floured surface to ¼-inch thickness. Brush dough with oil and dust with cornmeal. Set aside. Prepare toppings as instructed above and organize into separate containers for quick, easy access during grilling. Set aside.
- Grilling the Pizza: Gently lay rolled dough over the direct heat grill grates searing the first side (with grill lid open), for 3-5 minutes or until dough rises and edges begin to brown. Flip dough over and onto the cooler indirect heat grilling zone. Immediately brush with oil and being dressing with cheese, sliced chicken and caramelized shallots, chorizo, and figs. Close the grill lid and allow the pizza to bake until cheese bubbles and dough is cooked through. Remove pizza from grill and place on cooling rack to rest for 3-5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and fresh ground peppercorn, drizzle with balsamic reduction, and finish with shaved Parmesan, fresh leaves of basil and thyme. Slice and serve.
1-burner grill – Turn the grill to high, then leverage the warming shelf, lined with tin foil, removing the meat from direct contact with the grill grates.
2-burner grill – Turn right side of the grill to high & leave the left side off.
3-burner grill – Turn far right side of the grill to high, the middle to low-medium and the left side off.
4-burner grill – Turn far right side of grill to high, middle right to medium, middle left to low, & leave the far left zone off.
2-Zone Grilling Surface on Charcoal:
Ignite the charcoal in a chimney starter. When coals are glowing red, dump coals onto the grill floor. Rake coals, pushing ⅔ to one side of the grill, slanting the remaining coals to the opposite side of the grill, establishing high-piled 1 hot zone & 1 cooler zone. For every hour of cooking, add a half-stack of coals.
Hardwood Smoker Packs: Tear off 3-4 8″ sheets of tin foil. Pour a handful of your favorite hardwood chips onto the foil in a mound. Wrap the tin foil around the chips creating a package-of-sorts. With a knife or fork, perforate the top of the packet allowing smoke to billow from the package when the chips are heated. *Note: Never soak your woodchips – 0 value-add to process.